Start Fresh with a Career at Highland Farms
It all starts with you. If you have a passion for food and a passion for people then we want to hear from you.
Working at one of our stores is more than a job, it’s an opportunity to learn and grow. We offer full and part-time hours, a friendly work environment, competitive wages, on the job training, advancement opportunities and health care benefits for full time employees.
We are proud to be Canadian, proud to support the communities we work in and proud of our continued success for over 50 years.
If you want to make a fresh start then join the Highland Farms family today.
This position is available at our Mississauga, Scarborough, and Vaughan locations
Responsible to cut, trim, grind, tie and bone meat to specifications using powered industrial machinery and manual cutting utensils. Other duties include preparation and placement of meats in the display counter to attract customers, the weighing, wrapping and labeling of cuts of meat, totaling sales and packaging customer orders, maintaining and cleaning of the department and managing inventory and ordering new stock. The Butcher/Meat Cutter is also responsible for providing prompt, courteous and knowledgeable service to customers
• Uses manual cutting utensils, band saw and slicing machine to prepare meats for selling.
• Cuts carcasses, sides and quarters, removes bones from meat and trims and prepares standard cuts of
• Uses sausage machine and salami mixer and cooker.
• Weigh, wrap, package and price cuts of meat.
• Prepare and place cuts of meat in the display case.
• Prepare special cuts of meat for special orders.
• Understand and follow all Food Safety guidelines, procedures and requirements.
• Oversee and undertake thorough cleaning and inspection of all cutting, packaging and display materials,
tools, surfaces and the general cleaning of the meat department.
• Maintain a high level of customer service.
• Maintain a high level of product and service knowledge.
• Work in partnership with Meat Manager and other employees to maximize store sales and in-store
• Maintain a professional appearance, demeanor and attitude at all times.
• Needs to be available to work flexible shifts including evenings and weekends.
• Perform other duties as required by management to meet business needs.
Skills & Knowledge
• High School Diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent preferred.
• At least 3-5 years of experience as a Butcher/Meat Cutter required.
• Strong knowledge of Food Safety guidelines, methods, practices, and techniques.
• Must have the ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
• Excellent customer service, interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
• Motivated and creative team player.
• Strong problem- solving skills.
• Able to build relationships with customers.
• Exceptional listening and verbal communication skills.
• Self -motivated, with high energy and an engaging level of enthusiasm.
• Able to perform basic calculations and mathematical figures.
• Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
• High level of integrity and work ethic.
• Overtime as required.
• Exposure to sharp objects, machinery, and blood-borne pathogens.
• Personal Protective Equipment must be worn at all times.
• Ability to reach, bend, stoop and lift up to 50 lbs.
• Ability to break down and reassemble all equipment in the department for sanitation purposes.
• Ability to push or pull up to 1,350 pounds using a pallet jack.
• Handling sharp knives and other equipment such as slicers.
• Potential for slick floors in cutting room during cleaning.
• Exposure to temperature extremes (freezers, coolers, store temperature, outside temperature.
Vaughan, ON, L6A 4K5
Scarborough, ON, M1P 2W5
Mississauga, ON, L4Z 1N5
For job inquiries contact:
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Highland Farm’s Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Our Vision & Mission
To be the grocery shopping destination of choice in the GTA. To consistently offer our customers the highest standards of quality, value, selection, presentation and cleanliness. To inspire our employees to deliver an exceptional customer experience by consistently exceeding their expectations, and taking pride in our Fresh values.
Our Fresh Values
Family work ethic
Respect & courtesy
Energy & enthusiasm
Honesty & integrity