Start Fresh with a Career at Highland Farms
It all starts with you. If you have a passion for food and a passion for people then we want to hear from you.
Working at one of our stores is more than a job, it’s an opportunity to learn and grow. We offer full and part-time hours, a friendly work environment, competitive wages, on the job training, advancement opportunities and health care benefits for full time employees.
We are proud to be Canadian, proud to support the communities we work in and proud of our continued success for over 50 years.
If you want to make a fresh start then join the Highland Farms family today.
This position is available at our Mississauga, Scarborough, and Vaughan locations
Responsible for the day to day direction, operations and management of all aspects and functions of the produce department, including customer service, sales, execution of programs, merchandising and employee leadership and development.
• Be thoroughly familiar with all products carried in the department. Be fully knowledgeable of the
differences (in price, taste, preparation or use) between the many varieties and types of produce in
every family group (eg: apples, melons, etc).
• Plan and carry out merchandising plans, including any merchandising programs issued by the store's
owners, when applicable.
• Ensure quality and freshness of all produce, suggest changes to inventory and pricing, and purchase
supplies when needed.
• Follow approved Produce Department plans for effective space management and product allocation based on
product movement, consumer demand and profitability.
• Keep refrigerated cases and display shelves properly stocked and faced at all times according to
product movement, tag allocation and department standards to ensure maximum sales, quality and
• Ensure that all applicable produce items are properly trimmed and attractively presented.
• Ensure that wet racks are properly maintained and watered.
• Ensure that all perishable merchandise is rotated in accordance with store policy and product code
dates and all out of code merchandise is pulled.
• Order merchandise and maintain inventory control to minimize out of stocks and over stocks, ensure
freshness and product quality and maximize sales and turnover.
• Follow approved procedures for receiving product, price marking and restocking cases to ensure quality
protection, accuracy and product rotation.
• Check and verify produce department receiving to ensure that items listed on vendor invoices are all
delivered. Check products for quality, count/weight and condition.
• Record invoice documents accurately on the department receiving log and place signed invoice in the
designated secured area.
• Accurately record markups and markdowns, in store use of merchandise, voids, refunds and bad
merchandise/spoilage write offs in accordance with company policies.
• Ensure a favourable department image with customers through a clean, attractive and friendly
• Ensure that department pricing on all key or image items take competitive factors and other trading
practices into full consideration
• Manage and lead employees ensuring they have proper onboarding, training, coaching, and support.
• Schedule employees efficiently and effectively according to the departments business needs, volume and
• Be alert and observant at all times to any customer issues and ensure that all staff members provide
customers with prompt and courteous service and assistance.
• Ensure that all food safety standards and procedures are followed.
• Ensure employees are following all health, safety and cleanliness standards.
Skills & Knowledge
• Minimum 5 years in produce department operations and managing or supervising a produce department.
• High school diploma or GED.
• A food handler's license.
• The ability to work under pressure.
• Good problem-solving skills and initiative.
• Strong management, leadership and communication skills.
• Strong customer service skills.
• Available to work flexible shifts including evenings, weekends and holidays.
• Ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time
• Ability to maneuver up to 50 lbs
• Exposure to cold temperatures from freezer/cooler
Vaughan, ON, L6A 4K5
Scarborough, ON, M1P 2W5
Mississauga, ON, L4Z 1N5
For job inquiries contact:
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Highland Farm’s Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Our Vision & Mission
To be the grocery shopping destination of choice in the GTA. To consistently offer our customers the highest standards of quality, value, selection, presentation and cleanliness. To inspire our employees to deliver an exceptional customer experience by consistently exceeding their expectations, and taking pride in our Fresh values.
Our Fresh Values
Family work ethic
Respect & courtesy
Energy & enthusiasm
Honesty & integrity